Seasonal Banner

Seasonal Banner

ECCC Logo

ECCC Logo

Monday 19 May 2014

Beginnings

The Evangelical Covenant Church has a richly intertwined involvement with the Pietistic movement originating in Halle Germany. It is from Philipp Jakob Spener's quip that the Covenant Church has developed its theological stance: Unity in the primaries, understanding in the secondaries, and in all things love. It is towards this unity that we wish to develop this conversation, and from this unity that we can maintain our love for each other as those seeking to worship our Lord and king, Jesus Christ.

We understand that the best conversations do not occur between those who agree, but rather between those who disagree. We do not have to agree on all matter of theology in order to worship our saviour. The Apostle Paul likened the church to a body. There are many parts to the body of Christ, there are eye, ears, mouths, hands, and feet. It is understandable then that there would be a plethora of theological perspective and propensities towards specific praxis with regards to best worship this God-man Jesus. Perhaps a little about my past and upbringing would shed some light upon my own perspective.

My theological interests, like Mark were never really brought to bear until I entered into the second semester of my college freshman year. Prior to my enrollment to Providence Theological College, I had plans of entering into the world of culinary arts. I was accepted into a program in the local trades college when in the spring prior to my first semester I experienced a type of spiritual awakening. I remember very distinctly God calling me to go into youth ministry. I found myself, therefore, in the Fall of 2006 not wielding the knife but the pen. 

You have to understand that my academic abilities in high school were less than able. I graduated post-secondary with a 58% average, so to find myself in college writing papers with proper grammar and being concerned with formatting was quite the jump for me. Needless to say, my first year of college was rather difficult and I found myself less interested in youth ministry than I had been. This all changed for me when I took my first theology class in the fall semester of my second year. Historical Theology I with Tim Perry. It was quite the eye opener. To find that many of the things I believed had been established long before I was born helped me to realize that I was not alone in my faith. We were not isolated individuals worshiping God in our own unique ways, but many parts connected to a singular head. There were real things to learn about my identity in Christ and real things to learn about the body I was being grafted into.

It is within the context of historical theology that I came to really admire the role of theological reflection and activity. I was particularly fascinated by denominational intricacies as they were presented through historical development. There is a reason why the Mennonites are so far removed from their surrounding culture and a reason why the Lutherans are barely distinguished from it. There is a reason why the Calvinistic Reformers of today are so angry. And there are reasons why there are so many different takes on the Ordo Salutis. This fascination with various denominational distinctives is perhaps elicited by my own church history. Before finding myself in the Covenant Church I had attended Alliance, Mennonite, Anglican, Lutheran, and even non-denominational churches. I am by all rights a theological mut.


As is so common among students who study Bible and theology, I found myself rather disenchanted by the church for a time throughout the course of my undergrad. Somehow I ended up at Faith Covenant Church in Winnipeg. I was initially most attracted to the lack of pretentiousness and warmhearted people I found there. Now, six years later, I find myself on the path to clerical life. I currently find myself in the midst of my Masters of Divinity at Providence Theological Seminary. With my education being directed towards more pragmatic ends I find myself revisiting those subject I was introduced to in my undergrad as I ponder the necessity of those themes for my life in the church. I have found such life and freedom in the Covenant Church and their six Affirmations and it is with this appreciation that Mark and myself have long desired to foster a more robust theological environment.


Both Mark and myself have been interested for sometime in providing and facilitating theological discussion for our small church conference. We are rather jealous of other denominations who value their theologians to the point of monetary subsidy, but find that no matter how financially enticing the prospect of jumping ship might be, we cannot abandon our family. So, here we are.


Although this blog is directed to the those in the Evangelical Covenant Church of Canada, we welcome others to participate in the conversations that will be going on here. We even understand that many will outright disagree with our theological perspectives and we invite you to participate as well. However, we will above all strive for unity, understanding, and love in all things so that we might all come together and worship the head of our body, the resurrected Jesus.


Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment